Application_of_Precedent in irish law
Essay specific features
January 13, 2014
No of pages / words:
4 / 1038
Rating of current essay:
310 of the Fisheries (Consolidation) Act 1959?
• The relevant precedent: The People (DPP) v O’Shea .
• 3-2 majority of the SC: an appeal against an acquittal lies to the Supreme Court from the Central Criminal Court.
• Two members of the majority (O’Higgins and Walsh JJ) suggested the SC could order a retrial if the appeal was successful; other majority judge (Hederman) expressed no opinion; two dissenting judges (Finlay and Henchy JJ) held that no right of appeal
• In Considine, two points were different from O’Shea;
o O’Shea dealt with Article 34...
displayed 300 characters
Order custom writing paper now!
- Your research paper is written
by certified writers
- Your requirements and targets are
- You are able to control the progress
of your writing assignment
- You get a chance to become an
Get a price guote
District Court to the Circuit Court)
o O’Shea dealt with an appeal from a jury verdict while Considine dealt with a judge’s decision.
• Costello J felt the principles laid down by the SC were binding on him. But what were those principles? The decision in O’Shea was:
•Article 34.4.3 (appeals to Supreme Court from High Court) was not limited by Article 38...
displayed next 300 characters
General issues of this essay:
1 pages, 243 words
2 pages, 359 words
4 pages, 1038 words
1 pages, 153 words
1 pages, 77 words
2 pages, 460 words
2 pages, 442 words