Respecting Individual Decision-Making
Essay specific features
November 7, 2013
No of pages / words:
10 / 2612
Rating of current essay:
Though the categories tend to overlap, they are useful in thinking about some of the reasons people want to call in the government to take over parts of people's lives.
By the way, before I get started, just to avoid straw-man arguments like "well, you just want 12-year-olds to have sex with dogs", there are three philosophical limitations that apply to decisions made by individuals or between individuals:
* The decisions or agreements are made without fraud or physical coersion
* The decisions are made by adults (the very definition of adulthood is the legal ability to make decisions for oneself)
* Decisions and areements don't violate the constitutional rights of others
That being said, here are examples of the government interventionism of nannies, moralists, technocrats, and progressive/socialists...
displayed 300 characters
Order custom writing paper now!
- Your research paper is written
by certified writers
- Your requirements and targets are
- You are able to control the progress
of your writing assignment
- You get a chance to become an
Get a price guote
They believe the government's job is to protect people mainly from their own bad decision-making. Ironically, they are in many cases making decision-making worse, by either explicitly or tacitly reducing people's sense of individual responsibility.
* Seat Belts and Helmets: Nannies love "for your own good" laws...
displayed next 300 characters
General issues of this essay:
1 pages, 250 words
1 pages, 221 words
2 pages, 440 words
1 pages, 196 words
2 pages, 393 words
3 pages, 725 words
2 pages, 377 words