To Join Or Not To Join
Essay specific features
December 10, 2012
No of pages / words:
5 / 1336
Rating of current essay:
In 1997, when the Labour party gained control of Parliament, they agreed to sign the Social Chapter of the treaty; however, they did not adopt the Euro.
In order to join the EMU, the government feels the UK should pass the following five tests:
- Convergence: Are business cycles and economic structure compatible so that others and could we live comfortably with euro interest rates on a permanent basis?
- Flexibility: If problems emerge is there sufficient flexibility to deal with them?
- Investment: Would joining EMU create better conditions for firms making long-term decisions to invest in Britain?
- Financial Services: What impact would entry into EMU have on the competitive position of the UK’s financial services industry, particularly the City’s wholesale market?
- Growth, stability, and employment: In summary, will joining EMU promote higher growth, stability and a lasting increase in jobs?
Labour is committed to ensuring all these criteria are met before they decide to join the EMU...
displayed 300 characters
Order custom writing paper now!
- Your research paper is written
by certified writers
- Your requirements and targets are
- You are able to control the progress
of your writing assignment
- You get a chance to become an
Get a price guote
At the lecture with James Stewart, we learned the EU – and the Euro – would not exist without France and Germany. However, because they are the powerhouses behind the Union it allows them to “bend the rules’ in a way other minor countries are not able to. Regulations were set forth to make sure all participant countries were meeting the established criteria...
displayed next 300 characters
General issues of this essay:
5 pages, 1336 words
3 pages, 805 words
1 pages, 249 words
2 pages, 452 words
1 pages, 167 words
2 pages, 285 words
2 pages, 501 words